Welcome Martin Hughes to our team!
We are excited to announce a new addition to our team – Martin Hughes.
Over the last 14 years, Martin has worked full time in New Zealand schools as a teacher, facilitator, innovator, and leader of change. He designs professional learning that is meaningful, memorable and motivating.
A key feature of Martin’s approach is to improve capability in those who may present as less confident, with a history of using ICT that has previously been disappointing and confusing for them. He also works very effectively with more confident staff, challenging and coaching them to further develop the effectiveness of their classroom practice.
Although Martin’s main focus is often on the effective and creative use of ICT (particularly using Google/Apple technologies). He has a relentless focus on making things simple for people, so that they can be more effective regardless of their role.
Martin also works with communities around best practice for parenting with regards to young people and screen time and device usage – so that learning and well being are prioritised.
Martin is a tireless advocate for the needs of students and their families, support staff, teachers and school leaders. He enables schools and Kāhui Ako to flourish so that learners can be the very best that they can be.
Martin works with schools and Kāhui Ako to develop leadership capacity. His goal is to ensure any work he has initiated instills “ownership” and becomes sustainable within the school or Kāhui Ako.
His specialist skills include:
- Change management strategies for schools that motivate & engage everyone, ensuring 100% uptake in PLD.
- Development of strategies that motivate adults to learn effectively (andragogy).
- Design and implementation of school-wide strategies such as SAMR, Inquiry learning, Digital Citizenship, improved appraisal, and other school-wide processes.
- Ensuring “joined-up” decision making and resource allocation that prioritises educational outcomes at all times.
- Google/Apple/Microsoft PLD for all school staff, differentiated by role and confidence level.
- Strategic planning to link school goals and national goals with the development of teacher practice and collaboration within and between schools.
- Developing best practice around school use of cloud-based and mobile technologies.
- Developing & implementing time-saving strategies that optimise the use of all technologies in schools and across Kāhui Ako.
- Supporting and optimising BYOD goals, strategies and classroom practices.
- Overhauling and streamlining school admin systems and processes.
- Overhauling and streamlining special needs referral systems and processes.
- Technical/systems/PD audits to support schools to make the best decisions.
Martin is available for schools and Kāhui Ako who wish to use his expertise for centrally-funded professional learning and development (PLD).
Further Details & More Information…
- Development of Digital Fluency for all staff, regardless of confidence level
- Digital Technologies Curriculum
- School system overhaul
- Alignment of goals
- Teaching coach – focussing on Differentiation, Scaffolding and Feedback strategies
- Resource development and optimisation